Monday 27 February 2012

Life, the universe and everything

Are you like me?  Do you ignore the post during the week? 

Actually that's not entirely true .... if it looks interesting I'll open it, but if its a bill it gets ignored. It's not like we don't all pay by direct debit these days so it's not like the bill won't get paid!

Whilst at a local craft fair I picked up an mdf letter rack as I've never found anything I liked.  When I started painting it all I knew was that it was going to have the following ingredients:
  1. Metal
  2. Embossing
  3. Viva inka gold and ferro
  4. A wooden heart I've been meaning to use for ages!
Not keen on watching paint dry I went a hopping whilst waiting and found two challenges to inspire me, Hel's Sunday Stamper with the theme "Life" this week and Simon Says Stamp and Show "Anything goes."  Pity the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge was last weeks!  Oh well, it still inspired me!

I hope I can get away with saying I've used stamping - I did, honest!  The word life was stamped on the metal and then embossed.  I then used a Tim Holtz embossing folder to create the distressed harlequins.  Once happy with the look I polly filled - it gets used more in my craft room than in DIY!

To hide the edges of the metal I used Viva ferro around the edges of the letter rack before painting everything black and wiping it back.  Then I got carried away with Viva metallic paint and inka gold in several colours.



The little wooden heart was treated in a similar way and stuck to the back of the letter rack.



I'd prefer to recycle items, but if you can't find the right thing I'd recommend the mdfman. If you fancy a challenge grab the above ingredients or create a list of your own and see what you can create.



I couldn't resist taking a picture of the Taz monster, currently in possession of one bald ear.  It's a good job it's warm at the moment and that he still looks as handsome as ever!

Happy Crafting
Debz
x

5 comments:

  1. awww....Taz is just sooo adorable... why is his ear bald? scrapping? Loving your altered art, tis FAB... thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! Poor Taz he needs an ear muff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work. Taz looks wonderful too. I bet he watches what you do. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing creation - and at least it is functional too. Loving Taz - a very contented looking cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Deb. You are so good with your metal working. I have rescued the lovely heart you gave me and it is in the new house,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by and leaving me a comment I read every one and they are always appreciated.